Monday, May 19, 2008

Deenos

First of all, thanks to Emmy for posting this video for me. I've never taking the time to learn how to do that yet. I've been really unmotivated to blog lately, as you can tell. Anyway, on with the post.

Mateo and I were driving south for the weekend and called to ask Emmy if she wanted to meet us for lunch at the Maverick gas station. Who wouldn't want to have lunch at a gas station? It's right off the freeway, 1 minute from where she works. Emmy graciously accepted.

We've sort of gotten into the habit of buying a donut for Mateo everytime we go to the gas station. He LOVES purple frosted donuts and is very dissapointed when they are out of them, although the glazed Krispy Cremes will suffice.

Mateo used to call donuts "donees", but lately, he calls them "deenos". I call this linguistic phenemenon "language regression." It's when your language skills get worse instead of better, and it is normal for children learning to speak. I just made that up, but is sounds good. I also have language regression. Ever since 2005, when I got pregnant, I've been on the downhill slope, especially lately when I don't get much sleep. I am hoping we will both grow out of it. The worst part is that I adapt his vocabulary into my own speech. For example I'll ask him if he wants to watch Finding Meno, instead of Nemo, because that's how he says it. So now, I not only speak like a toddler, I have toddler speech regression as well. Awesome. I also say things like "Look, there's a helacacacacac". (helicopter) Yes, I swear, I did graduate from high school, college and even have a master's degree. Not that you could tell by my advanced vocabulary and eloquent speech. Oh well. There's a lot of other examples, but I can't think of them right now because I have "brain/memory regression" as well.

Anyway, enjoy the video. Thanks again Emmy. Good thing you don't have anything to do at work, huh.

(Note the bouncing sugar high. It's great, isn't it? Remind me not to give him anymore "deenos", I mean,"donees". I mean donuts. See what I mean? )

4 comments:

Emily said...

You forgot to blog about the part when Mateo sneezed on all of the donuts before making his choice on which one he wants. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mav doesn't ever let us come back.

monica said...

Oh yeah, I forgot. I hope no one saw that. At least he doesn't have a cold anymore... Good luck painting this weekend.

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious! "Language regression." I like it. That'll be my excuse too.

Anonymous said...

OMG!! he is getting so big!!! You are so funny!! Miss you guys. Call me for the photo session next time your in town. Take care, whit