One of Mateo's favorite things to say is "what the .....?" and "what the heck". You have to say it with your hands up like you're asking a question. Thanks uncle Jason R. for teaching him that nice Utah slang. Here are a few of my recent "what the...'s".
1. Saturday it was freezing. Literally. It snowed. "What the....?"
We woke up to a nice sprinkling of snow in our yard. Come on Mother "N", work with me here. She did, and it was lovely yesterday. Like in the 60's. Thanks. I was a little worried for a while there. Way too early for Snow.
2. What's up with Thomas the Train? We rented a DVD at the local Red Box. (love those Red Boxes. It's the only place to rent movies here in town, besides the local library.) We got a Halloween special with five different cartoons. Mateo just wants to watch the Thomas episode. Here are my "what the....'s?"
1. What's up with all the train's faces. Do they just make molds of different expressions and then change their eyebrows with a marker and then switch them around on all the trains depending on their latest emotion? Lame...
2. What kind name is Sir Topham Hat?
3. Why is the narrator straight from Boston, MA? He sounds like the Click and Clack brothers from "Car Talk". And why does everyone else have British accents? (Sir T.Hat and the children singing the closing song.)
4. In the song, it says "Thomas, he's the cheeky one." I didn't really know which one Thomas was. I went to Mateo's trains and looked for the one with the biggest cheeks. Thomas' cheeks aren't that big. Then I realized, "Oh, it's a British thing". Right. Cheeky means, like, sassy... I think. Kim H.? Help me out here. And what does "shunting" freight mean?
5. Why is Emily the only girl-train in the entire show? Can't girls be trains too?
6. Why are the words "Useful Ones" in the song capitalized? Can you tell I've watched this show WAY to many times? I think we've seen it about 25 times in the last 2 days.
"What the....?"
O.K. One more, not Thomas related.
JELLO...
Mateo is into making and eating Jello lately. I never buy it, or make it. Mostly because I'm not a huge fan. Isn't it made out of cow toe nails and high fructose corn sugar? Yum. Very nutritious. But I gave in. We made green jello and I got a little crazy and tried to "Utah Mormon" it up by adding marshmellows to it. (Mateo just ate the marshmellows, of course.) Anyway, I noticed a thin layer of white cream on the botton of the pan. I always thought people had to add a secret creamy ingredient whenever I ate layered jello in the past, but now I realize, it's just the melted marshmellows that sink to the bottom. I had no idea! "What the...?"
And last but not least. I told Alex I was going to shower and could he please watch Mateo for me while he's working on his truck. (his second family) So after I showered, I began to write this post. I thought I heard them coming in the house and got scared so I ran to the kitchen and started cleaning up. "What the....?" Why do I feel like I'm going to get in trouble for blogging? I have every right to do whatever I want with my free time, right? I had a flashback from my youth when we were watching Silver Spoons or Growing Pains on t.v. and my mom asked us to empty the dishwasher or something while she was out running an errand. As soon as we heard the garage door open, we'd turn the t.v. off and run to do what ever chore we had neglected for the past hour and tried to make it look like the chore was done a long time ago.
Phew, I'm done blogging. Now I really have to go clean the kitchen. Let me know if you've had and "what the...." experiences lately.
Thursday, October 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I remember Mary Poppins using "cheeky" too.
Trav's kids are huge Thomas fans. It's a little creepy at first, but trust me...it's a good thing. They can play Thomas for hours!
I agree with all your Thomas "what the..'s" And way to go, Jason, for teaching Mateo a Utah-ism. I had a mission companion from Cambodia and I taught her to say, "I sure 'preciate cha!"
Hmm... if only my "What the...s" ended so innocently - but I'm getting better!
My list:
1) My roommates & I realizing that it's more expensive to buy groceries than to eat out.
2) Having 7 midterms span over 6 weeks - AHHH!!!!
3) Seeing that gas went down to $1.08 (a litre) after having just filled the car at $1.30.
4) Finding out that I can't legally work here for 6 months.
5) Realizing I don't even have time to work if I were legal.
6) Having Thanksgiving in October.
7) The latest twist on "Dexter".
8) People pronouncing garage - "gare-age" ("gare" like stare & "age" like apple)
9) Someone stealing my Canada beer mug from the women's washroom at school.
10) The lack of restaurants that stay open past 10pm.
Oh, Canada, we love you.
Post a Comment