Saturday, September 26, 2009

Door to Door

Yesterday, a door-to-door salesman knocked on our door, selling of course, an infamous all-purpose house cleaner, for only $60 a bottle, which is concentrated and will last you three years, never having to buy another house-hold cleaner again. Non-toxic, no smears or smudges. Have you met him? I'm sure you have.

This guy was on FIRE! He was speaking so fast, I could hardly understand him. He also said he had just had three "Monster" drinks. That explained it. I could hardly keep up with him. You've seen similar demonstrations, I'm sure, where they have a rag, take out a sharpee pen, draw on the rag and then magically clean their stained rag with this "amazing" cleaner. Why wouldn't you want that? (I have a sharpee art project on my kitchen table thanks to Mateo.) Well, because I'm not paying $60 for a cleaner. But wait, if you want only one quart, it's only $40. Hmmm, still too much.

"O.K.", let me show you what it can do to this black smudge on your wall."
Spray-scrup-spray-wipe, ta da... all clean.
Cool!
Amazing.
How about my windows? Same deal. He proceeded to demonstrate.
Shower? Same.
Stove? Same.

My mind got to thinking, "wow, this product is amazing. If only I could buy this man WITH the product to clean my house." I almost suggested that to him, but then realized it would have come out wrong, because that sounded a lot like slavery; buy a black man from the south to work for you.
Darn.
Then I thought, "Hey, if I could seem interested, and make more and more requests/challenges for his "super" cleaner, then maybe after about 1 hour, he would have cleaned my whole house for me. (It works in bathrooms, kitchens, floors, windows, carpet, etc.) And then I wouldn't have to spend the money on the cleaner.
Blah blah blah.
I got kind of bored after 15 minutes. Although, it was a very entertaining 15 minutes.
I left it up to Alex and said. "Whatever, it's your call."
Three minutes later, we were the proud owners of a multi-purpose cleaner for only $40.
How was Alex able to decide so quickly that he wanted to buy it? The salesman domonstrated how it so easily cleaned oil stains off the drive way. Guy stuff.

I will bet you $40 Alex will NEVER get on his hands and knees and actually USE that cleaner to clean off the oil stains from the drive-way. But at least now we have clean "spots" on our windows, walls and driveway. "No smudges, either!"

2 comments:

xanmarknayden said...

Hey! How are ya'll doing? When are you coming to the frigid Northwest? Our house is going to be done in about two weeks, you should come up and visit sometime soon! Hope you are all doing well.

kh said...

I'm laughing...