Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Trucks, Trucks and More Trucks

Mateo loves trucks. Whenever he chooses books to read, it's always the truck books. He can even point out all the different kinds of trucks in the books: street sweepers, dumptrucks, backhoes, front end loaders, and his favorite, the garbage truck. It looks just like the one that comes to our house every Wednesday morning when we rush outside to watch the trash (and the dozens of dirty diapers that we contribute to the landfill) go overboard. I always knew he liked big vehicles, but didn't know it was a live or die kind of a love. A few days ago, I discovered a store in Salt Lake called Kid to Kid, where they have used toys, clothes, strollers, etc. You can sell your stuff to the store and have an account there and get in-store credit. It's pretty cool, but not as cheap as I thought it would be. I found Mateo a great front loading truck. It's pretty big. Big enough that he can sit on it, but still carry it and maneuver it. He loved it and we couldn't leave the store without buying it. It was a bargain price of $9.99. On the drive home, he wouldn't let go of it. He had to sit in the car seat, holding on to it with his hands, as it dangled over his legs. For dinner that night, we had to strap him in the high chair, with him gripping the truck in one hand. The truck ended up eating with us, had a bib on, even his own fork, because Mateo wouldn't let go of it without a tantrum. Is this great parenting or what? Why fight it, when you can have a giant truck sitting on your dinner table with the rest of the family?

If anyone has any trucks they want to pass on to Mateo, we are kindly accepting donations. Thanks.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Does that mean the truck is going to have to come in the car with us to Vegas this weekend?

Julia said...

I love the fact that the truck was wearing a bib. Mateo is hilarious.

monica said...

don't worry emmy, we'll have much more drama than that. i'll bring the small trucks instead and you bring the earplugs.

Jen Lynn said...

Hey Monica - I've been spying on yours and em's blogs the last couple of days. Somehow Leah got a hold of a million danville people's blogs and sent them over to me. Fun Stuff.

I saw your parents this summer and they were telling me you lived in Provo so I got your # then lost it. Bummer.

It's been fun to catch up with you via blogging though. I love this stuff.

Jen (Stapley)
j-a-c-q-e-lynn.blogspot.com