My last post was so negative and depressing, (so the critics say). Sorry, I don't mean to be. I have a great life, and a great mother who flew out here at the last minute to help out in my time of need. While she was here, we laughed a lot at her Silvia-isms. At least she can laugh at herself. These are some great quotes from Silvia:
1. While talking about a friend, she said. "Well, we all come from families with some sort of dyslexia, no, disruption, I mean, disfunction. But this girl, she's got a lot of packages. I mean baggage."
2. I suggested we go outside and play in the snow with Mateo or at least try to shovel some of it and she said,
S: "O.K., I brought my goggles, no my oogles, no my crocks."
M: Why would you where your crocks in the snow, mom? They are clogs with holes in them.
S: "Yes, but they are waterproof. They are rubber."
M: Mom, your socks will get soaked.
S: "Well, maybe I can line them with foil."
I'm not making any of this up. This was an actual conversation. She cracks me up. She's so from California.
3. S: "Did you know poor Martha is still taking care of her poor husband who is in bed and can't walk? He shattered his knee and had to get 40 grapes."
M: Did you say "grapes"?
S: "No, I mean, grapas, staples."
(grapas=staples in Spanish)
I think her communication issues are a combination of a) native-language transfer b) not focusing on the conversation and c) exhaustion from her insomnia.
The sad thing is, I do the same thing. I'm turning into her.
There were many more, but I forgot them. Check out Emmy's blog for some more. The best so far is the "Chicken Ceasar's Palace" (salad) from Costco. (yes, she also lived in Vegas.) You are the best mom, love you....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Monica, that is hilarious. So glad you guys record them. The other day we asked my mom "What did you get at the store," and she said "What, monkey puzzle?" She has none of Sylvia's cool excuses. Only age.
We really need to be better at writing them down. I'm estimating there is a Silviaism at least every 10.3 minutes. We should write a book.
HILARIOUS. Personally, I think foil-lined crocs are a great idea. I don't know what you're all laughing about.
Oh my gosh, that was one of the funniest things I have read in a long time. Moms are crazy. It's the result of kids, I think. Kids make you lose your mind, then when they are a little older, it seems like you get it back, but you really don't. It's just gone. So sad...but at least it makes for some funny stories! {this is Brooke}
This is sooo great! I'm totally laughing out loud. I can just hear them. . .
Post a Comment