Saturday, March 6, 2010

ALIEN COSTUME








Mateo: Mom, when is October?
Mom: Only in 8 more months.
Mateo: YES!!
Mom: Why? Do you know what you want to be for Halloween?
Mateo: Yes, I want to be an ALIEN!
Mom: Cool! Let's look on the internet and find some cool alien costumes.
Mateo: No, I want to make my own.
Mom: O.K. we'll work on that later.
Mateo: But I want to make it right now.
Mom: But I don't have any fabric or anything right now.
Mateo: Yes you do....
Mom: O.K. let's see what I have.

After drawing what he wanted the mask to look like, he picked out the fabric, designed the face, added the black yarn and told me how to do it. With the magic of my glue gun, it was done in a few minutes...
Pretty awesome mask, right?

Mateo: Now I want to do a cape and clothes....
Mom: OMG. Are you serious? It's only March... can we do this later?
Mateo: No.
Mom: We'll do it tomorrow.

First thing in the morning when he wakes up.....

Mateo: Can we finish my costume now?
Mom: After we have breakfast.....

So, this is what we did on Saturday, ALL DAY Saturday.

Mom: You better wear this all year, because this is going to take me forever.
Mateo: O.K. I will.
Mom: But I'm happy to make it for you, you know...(thinking in the back of my mind that after baby #2 comes, I'm never going to get to do stuff like this again, spontaneously at least.)
Mateo: And I'm happy to help you make it.

After we finished the very unprofessional costume and had our little photo shoot...

Mateo: Can I put this costume in the Halloween box now?

Me: NOOOOOOO! You have to wear it ALL DAY long....

Now he's bugging me to make another costume....a SKELETON costume!!!

The paper sack mask was inspired by the book we read a few days ago, "Olivia". Notice the detail he drew in the mouth. It has an uvula and a tongue. He even cut out some of the teeth and glued them on by himself.

In the alien costume, please notice the white gloves with q-tips sticking out of them. He thought that was an amazingly dramatic accent to the alien's wrists. He picked out the black fabric for the cape and wanted silver fabric for the pants. He also wanted a silver shirt, but I "accidentally" forgot to make it.

When I went to iron his silver disco pants that barely fit over his hips because I have no idea what I'm doing when I sew.... I set up the iron and ironing board and Mateo said, "Is this going to make a loud sound?" preparing himself as he plugged both his ears.
Shows you how much I iron....

4 comments:

Julia said...

Wow. Creative kid, and very patient mama. Doesn't it feel good to know you're all ready for Halloween 2010?

Unknown said...

love it. love it. love it. that creative stream in him never turns off, does it.

Anonymous said...

Monica~~Peter~~!!

this is Natsumi,
and i just want to say...
Mateo is soooo cute!!!!!!

always miss u guys!

kh said...

I'm laughing....