
"But mom, I wanted to keep him!"
"Mateo," I said, "He needs to be free and find food and water and have a family."
"But why? I could have given him that!"
A few days later, the second butterfly emerged and Mateo immediately ran and closed all the doors so he could not escape. After taking it to his kindergarten class to show his friends, we got home and I "accidentally" tipped the jar over in the grass so he could be free. Only a few tears were shed. There is still one more chrysalis in Mateo's kindergarten classroom waiting to appear. I'm sure Mateo will find a way to give this last butterfly a good family, food and water.... until Eli grabs it and crushes it and tries to eat it. Then many tears will be shed.








1 comment:
so cool. I remember having butterflies in our first grade classroom (watching them from chrysalis to winged insect. we really need to see you soon.
Post a Comment