Friday, January 11, 2008

Salmonella

Salmonella...
Not very fun for a one and a half year old to have. Mateo is officially over his 10 long days of diarrhea. It was not very fun for me either, since I was the one changing his diaper 4-9 times a day and constantly bathing him to keep his little butt from getting a rash and trying to get him to eat of drink, SOMETHING!

He had a poo (stool) sample taken to the lab for testing. The doctor told me that they couldn't use the sample I had already brought in because it was in his diaper and diapers have anti-bacterial chemicals in the cotton, so they wouldn't be able to get an accurate reading of the bacteria they were looking for. Damn those anti-bacterial diapers. Instead, she advised me to: 1) turn the diaper inside out, or 2) wrap the diaper in Saran wrap and collect it that way, or 3) get him to poop in a little 2 inch wide cup. Are any of these ideas practical? NO. What about the pee that will be dripping down his legs in his pants from the Saran-wrapped diaper? So what did we do? We cheated.

While I was at work, Mateo pooped and Alex scooped up the part of the poo that wasn't touching the diaper, put it in the little cup and took it to the lab. (He's not one for following rules). That day, he was feeling much better and had his first SOLID poo in 10 days! We were so relieved. We got a call three days later from the doctor informing us that in fact, Mateo had been infected with Salmonella and it is most commonly caused by eating raw chicken or eggs and that they had to report it to the county health department, who would be contacting me soon to ask questions. (Am I going to jail for being a bad mother?)

Mateo used to love eggs, but he hasn't touched them since he got sick. I'm pretty sure he got infected from some "chicken eggs" from the Peterson farm. I admit it, it's my fault. I remember he picked one up and I don't remember if I washed his hands after that. Also, I kind of dropped an egg shell into the scrambled egg batter I made him for breakfast one morning. So, yes, I am a bad mother. For now, we'll be taking a break from the chicken eggs and maybe eat more tofu for protein instead. And to think, I was blaming the innocent third world country of Mexico for getting him sick. Sorry Mexico.

4 comments:

Emily said...

I thought eggs that were range free were good for you? All this talk about poop is making me sick. I'm glad I wasn't the one that got him sick. No I know why you yelled at me to get on birth control. It's all making sense.

Leah said...

You poor babies, yes babies it is always hard taking care of the sick child. I'm glad he's feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the boy ate a litte of this:

http://www.doodycalls.com/resources_toxic_dog_waste.asp

Maybe this guy will be making a stop to your neighborhood soon!

http://www.thepoopdetective.com/

And let me recommend this available service:

http://www.thegreatpoodini.com/health.html

Glad that he is feeling better.

Leah said...

Hey Monica I am tagging you check out my blog for info!