Friday, August 17, 2007

Attachment Parenting and Separation Anxiety

I thought I'd actually write something in this blog, instead of just posting Mateo pictures. Mateo and I (Monica) are basically glued at the hip. He even has to follow me in the bathroom so I can pee. He needs to know where I am at all times, as do I, him. (That was a bad sentence... Emmy, please edit.) Today we went to the University of Utah Day Care for the parent orientation meeting where Mateo is supposed to be starting his 6 hours a week of day care. I thought we'd break him in slowly to the day care thing since I will have to be working next year, full time, to pay the bills, especially after my future Ikea shopping sprees. I hope to try to earn some money, clean the house, run errands or have some free time to actually cook dinner in those 6 hours a week where he is not glued to my hip. Today I realized that I'm as attached to him as he is to me. I was supposed to leave him in the day care room with 15 other kids, some screaming, some playing. There were 4 or 5 teacher's aids there too. After 5 minutes of playing with him to get him integrated to his new environment, I snuck away and opted to watch him from the observation room to see what he would do. (yes, they have an observation room, just like in the movies where the bad guy is being interogated and the cops are watching him from behind the glass mirror.) Mateo was fine for about one minute and was completely enteratained with putting the plastic food items in the plastic washer and dryer. I kept waiting to see if this initial reaction would last. It didn't. About 30 seconds later, he started looking around the room for me and realized I was gone. Then he went to the door and put his hands on the glass and peered outside, looking for me. Then he turned around again to double check that I was really gone. His little lips and chin turned upside down and was about to start crying when I busted out of the secret hiding room to run to his side. He was relieved to see me and I ended up staying w/ him for about 30 more minutes. I tried to leave a second and third time, but he was too smart and wouldn't leave my side and grabbed my pants when I tried to stand up. Finally, the screaming babies, I think 5 of them, were driving me crazy. I couldn't handle the noise and the cramped feeling and the fact that I saw Mateo suck on the same plastic hot dog that 5 other kids sucked on. I took my diapers and wipes out of his cubby, because I was pretty sure we weren't going back there again. I had to get out of there, WITH my baby.
Day care sucks.... but it must be pretty nice to have 6 hours of free time a week.

(As my grandma Donna recently said to me, "You're going to let that baby ruin your life."
"What life?", I said.)
*******Correction. I misquoted my grandma Donna. She would never mean to say that he would "ruin" my life. She said "rule" my life. That is what will happen if I don't put my foot down and start being the boss. I agree. Sorry grandma.

6 comments:

Lindsey Ellis said...

Moni~ Sounds like you'll be trading "day care" with friends in your ward. Sorry that sucked so badly! Student loans are your friend.

Emily said...

I think you should ship Mateo to grandma donna, she sounds like she can toughen him up. That will solve the whole weening thing too. She'll cut him off cold turkey.

monica said...

Thanks Lindsey, I ended up delaying his enrollment until next semester when we are all moved in and life isn't so crazy.

Anonymous said...

Those are symptoms of being a good mom. Eventhough overwhelming at times, you will never regret the time you spent holding your baby - or the seemingly urgent or important things you let go. Believe me, there is very little out there that is more important or meaningful, or longlasting. Your own mom.

kh said...

Ohhhh the plastic hot dog...ICK! It's a miracle we all survived childhood, no?

Anonymous said...

That's what parents do with children. If you do not want to take care of or be with them...don't have them. Do youself, the community, and all others involved a service and take care of yourself...and forget bringing others into this world.